Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"Best thing I’ve ever done so far"Manon Scherpenisse, Holland
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"Detailed and impressively knowledgeable staff. Made sure to expose us to a range of perspectives and to keep an open mind aka there is no one right way of thinking."Anon
|Starting at $1,260|
|Hout Bay Backpackers|
|3 meals per day|
|First Monday of the Month|
Flights are not included in the cost.
Make an impact; contribute to sustainable development and have a genuine cultural experience with a passionate and professional African responsible travel company.
Apart from the normal struggles of living with a disability, social stigma and discrimination surrounding disabilities mean that People With Disabilities (PWD) face even greater challenges. In many instances, PWDs are not afforded the same opportunities as regular members of society, and this in turn means they are often unable to contribute productively to their communities.
Your role will be based in a local care centre, which provides social activities, food, assistance with day-to-day life and vocational training. You will work alongside centre staff, assisting them and taking on responsibilities as your skills and experience allows.
The highlights of this rewarding experience include:
- Supporting People with Disabilities to live independently, be part of a community and gain skills to generate an income
- Experience the vibrancy of life in a South African Township
- Live in and explore the city of Cape Town, soak up the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches, hike up Table Mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city
During your stay you will be accommodated in an award winning lodge, opposite the sandy beach of Hout Bay. Three meals a day will also be provided, some on a self-serve basis and others cooked for you. For more information please see the Cape Town Accommodation factsheet.
Your role is based at a local registered care centre which provides services for 20 – 30 adults with either physical or intellectual disabilities. The centre is staffed with volunteers who provide support and community-based rehabilitation.
As a volunteer your role will be to assist with the daily client-related activities at the Centre which involve:
- Social interaction with clients and assisting them with their day-to-day activities in the centre
- Supporting the centre and their clients to generate income through making arts and crafts items and selling them within the local community
- Assisting with vocation and skills based training
- Helping out in the kitchen and in the garden to provide nutritious meals for clients
- Tell the residents stories about your home and travels – help them explore the world despite their physical challenges.
Day in the life of a volunteer:
|7:00||Wake up and have your breakfast on the deck overlooking the beach and Hout Bay Harbour!|
|7:30||Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day|
|8:00||Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching skills, food preparation, reading and social activities|
|12:30||Time to either return to Hout Bay Backpackers for lunch or to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!|
|14:00||Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this will involve continuing to assist at the centre, or opting to help at youth clubs with homework, reading and activities to develop self-confidence|
|16:00||Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the sea!|
|18:30||Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax……|
Fly into Cape Town International Airport (more details in “Arrivals” section in the South Africa Destination Brief) where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you to Hout Bay Backpackers, your home for the duration of the experience. It is a 45-60 minute journey from the airport to Hout Bay.
The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience, and what to expect.
In the afternoon you will embark on a Township Tour with an expert local guide who will introduce you to life in a township. The tour takes place in Imizamo Yethu, one of the townships All Out Africa has volunteer projects in.
Today you begin your volunteer project! The Project Coordinator will take you to and assist you in settling in at your project. After lunch you have another tour, this time through the Hangberg community. Your tour guide is a local leader who lives in the community and is involved in many of the youth interventions to encourage positive development.
In the morning you will return to the centre and in the afternoon you may remain at the centre or if alternatively you may get involved in another project at one of our youth development centres, which focus on extracurricular activities for disadvantaged children.
You’re now fully up and running as a volunteer, and will go to both your morning and afternoon projects!
Day 6-7 and other weekends for the duration of your stay
The first weekend of your experience you will be given a one-day bus ticket to the open top red bus tour, which is a great way to explore Cape Town and familiarise yourself on what you want to do! Stops include Camps Bay, Table Mountain, V & A waterfront and Cape Town City Centre. You have the option to upgrade to a two day pass for a small additional fee which is recommended.
Other weekends are free for you to relax or to see more of the scenery and activities Cape Town has to offer!
For 4 week option:
Day 29 Return home
Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your final day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Hout Bay and will be transferred to Cape Town International Airport. Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.
For 4 week plus option
Day 29 onwards
Continue with your volunteer project as described in day 5, giving you more time to contribute to your project and experience beautiful Cape Town.
INCLUDED IN FEE
- Comprehensive 24 hour, 7 day a week support from All Out Africa
- Volunteer projects specifically designed to enable you to make an active contribution during your stay
- Support of volunteer project coordinators who are experts in their fields which ensures the volunteer experience is valuable
- Comprehensive orientation to the country, its culture and your role as a volunteer upon arrival
- All food and accommodation throughout your stay
You can also add the following activities to your adventure of a lifetime prior to or upon arrival:
- See the penguins at Boulders Beach and explore one of Africa’s most southern points, Cape Point National Park
- Visit the Cape Wineries nestled amongst beautiful mountains
- Tour along the spectacular garden route and explore the beaches, wildlife and adventure activities such as bungy jumping and tubing
- See the great white shark up close and personal in a shark cage diving experience
Other Projects you may be interested in
Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Some Interesting Links
- For Volunteer Projects Contact:
- PO Box 153, Lobamba, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2416 2260
- US Toll Free: 187-7216-7178
- UK Toll Free: : 08-0008-68526
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Adventure Tours contact:
- PO Box 132, Mahlanya, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2528 3423
- Email: email@example.com