“Everything was very well organized and planned. I enjoyed it a lot. The guides were very friendly and helpful.”
“Love the tous keep it up!”
“Melusi still a dream to work with!”
|South Africa, Mozambique & Swaziland|
|16 May – 27 May|
|$519 (top up per person)|
|Accommodation varies per destination|
|16 May 2018|
Visas, lunches, dinners, activities not listed in the list above, extra entry fees not specified, drinks, snacks, items of a personal nature are not included in the rate.
Festicket: Southern Africa Festival & Big 5 Tour
16 – 27 May 2019
Package includes the following:
• 3 nights’ accommodation at Southern Sun Hotel in Maputo in twin rooms with ensuite bathrooms
• 3 nights’ accommodation in Kruger National Park at two different camps Skukuza and Pretoriuskop(basic air-conditioned huts with ensuite shower rooms)
• 2 nights’ accommodation at Phophonyane Eco Lodge in northern Swaziland in a range of rooms (2 twin occupancy cottages, 1 single occupancy cottage, 1 single occupancy beehive, 2 single occupancy luxury tents, 1 twin occupancy luxury tent – allocation depending on tour participation and cannot be reserved)
• 3 nights’ accommodation at the MTN Bushfire Festival in the comfortable Lux Camping Site
• 9 breakfasts – Southern Sun, Kruger National Park and Bushfire Festival Deluxe Camping
• All transport (at Azgo Festival transport includes 1 drop off and 1 pickup from/to festival/accommodation)
• Mafalala Tour – cultural walking tour of Maputo
• Maputo City Sightseeing Tour – informal half day tour with hop on and off guide
• 3 night Kruger National Park Safari (including accommodation, specialist safari guides, open safari vehicle game drives, unlimited daily safaris, 1 x sunset drive, park entry fees, conservation fees)
• Azgo Full Festival Pass (VIP ticket) including complimentary t-shirt
• Bushfire Full Festival Pass (Golden Lounge ticket) including complimentary t-shirt
• Swaziland Cultural Village tour
• An experienced guide for the full duration of the tour
Visas, lunches, dinners, activities not listed in the list above, extra entry fees not specified, drinks, snacks, items of a personal nature
USD $2560/person sharing
Single supplement: top up of USD $ 519 /person
MAY 17 Breakfast at hotel. 9:30: Maputo City Tour with highlights such as visiting the old railway station, the fort, and the famous fish market. Lunch at leisure (guide will suggest restaurants). Continue to Tour of Mafala at 14:30 to get an insight into the culture in the afternoon. In the evening dinner and leisurely evening in Maputo (the guide can make suggestions).
MAY 18 Breakfast at hotel. 10:30 – depart hotel for the AZGO Festival. All Out Africa guide will drop you at the venue and then will schedule two pickup times through the day for a shuttle back to the hotel. AZGO starts at 10 am, music starts at 2 pm and runs through until 06:00 on Sunday. See the website for more information on the line-up and other highlights http://azgofestival.com/en/
MAY 19 Breakfast at hotel. 10:00 – depart Maputo City for the Kruger National Park. The road transfer to Crocodile Bridge entry gate is approximately 3 hours including the border crossing from Mozambique back into South Africa. Just before entry to Kruger, your guide will stop at a small town called Komatipoort where you can shop for snacks and use ATMs etc. On entry to Kruger at Crocodile Bridge you will transfer into open safari vehicles and your Kruger safari begins! Check in to your accommodation. Enjoy dinner under the stars at the onsite restaurant.
MAY 20 05:30 – the day begins with hot drinks and biscuits to give you a kick start before heading out into the Africa bush at 06:00 to search for the Big 5. Breakfast will be included at a remote bush café. Your first day in Kruger will be a full day of safari. For lunches and dinners, the guide will stop at any of the park’s cafes and restaurants.
MAY 21 This is a good morning to go on an optional Morning Walking Safari. Alternatively, you can go out for a safari with the All Out Africa guide. The whole group will meet back at camp for a late breakfast and then pack up and head out for a couple of hours game drive. Arrive at Pretoriuskop and check-in. Have some time to relax in the camp around the swimming pool. At 16:30 head out on a sunset drive. Return at 19:30 for dinner.
MAY 22 Have a leisurely start and depart Kruger for Swaziland. Head across the Jeppe’s Reef border and travel to the stunning Phophonyane. In Piggs Peak pick up some breakfast and lunch supplies for the next couple of days (or you can order from the restaurant if you prefer). Check in to your accommodation.
Relax or walk to the local waterfall. Have dinner in the restaurant and relax on the terrace.
MAY 23 After a leisurely start where you can either have breakfast in the restaurant or prepare your own take a hike down to the local village, visit a faith healer, and enjoy lunch. For those feeling a little more energetic undertake some more hiking while the rest can return to the accommodation and relax by the pool.
MAY 24 After breakfast head out at 9:00 to Mantenga Cultural Village to learn about Swazi culture and to see a traditional Swazi dance. At 12:15 transfer to Bushfire Festival and check in to your home for the next few nights, the deluxe campsite. Check in and freshen up before heading to the Bushfire Festival! Bushfire is a 3-day event and ends on Sunday night. For more information on the festival and the line-up go to http://www.bush-fire.com/. There is no need for any transport as you will be staying in the grounds of the Festival.
MAY 25 Breakfast at the campsite. Bushfire Saturday start from 10:00 and closed at 04:00 on Sunday. Check the website for line-up and highlights
MAY 26 Breakfast at the campsite. Optional Tree Planting – Bring Your Fire – for those who are interested – 10:00 departure. Bushfire closes at 08:00 on Sunday. Check the website for line-up and highlights. Stay over at the Festival.
MAY 27 Breakfast at the campsite. 9:00 road transfer to Maputo International for flights home.
Optional extras that need to be pre-booked:
There are several optional extra activities to consider while on your tour but one that needs to be pre-booked is the Morning Walking Safari in Kruger (run by park rangers): ZAR550/person (5 hour round trip). Let us know if you’d like to add this to your reservation.
What to Pack
Note: Please pack as lightly and compactly as possible. 1 x 25 kg bag will be sufficient.
May in southern Africa is the beginning of the dry winter. The weather is generally perfect for travel as it is sunny and dry most days. The evenings and morning can be quite cold especially if you are on an outdoor activity like a safari. Please pack a range of clothing for warm to hot days and cool to cold nights. In addition to your everyday clothing, it is important that you include the following:
- Binoculars for game viewing (we have pairs in the vehicle but bring your own if you have them)
- Sunglasses (high UV protection)
- Sun cream (a range of factors)
- Sun hat
- A small torch (a head torch is preferable and highly recommended)
- Water bottle
- Mobile phone – set for roaming
- Adaptors – make sure to bring your own adaptors from Australian / North American / European to South
- African plugs
- Neutral clothing for the optional bush walk
- Trainers for the bush walk
- Swimwear (there are pools at most accommodations)
- Warm fleece or jacket for cold nights and mornings (especially while on the open safari vehicle in the early morning)
- Anti-malarial tablets (Maputo and Kruger are low-risk Malaria areas in winter – consult your own doctor for advice)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Personal medication e.g. anti-malarial tablets/prescription drugs/inhalers
- Mosquito repellent
- South African Rands (ZAR) – obtainable from ATMs on arrival (Rands usable in Swaziland)
- Mozambican Metical (MZN) – obtainable from ATMs on arrival
It is your responsibility to check if you require a visa for your travel.
Americans, British Citizens, and Australians DO NOT need a visa for travel to Swaziland and South Africa but DO need visas for Mozambique which can be obtained upon entry in ZAR or in advance at an embassy in your home country
OTHER TOURS & PROJECTS YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN
Some Interesting Links
Volunteer Projects Contact
- +268 2416 2260
Adventure Tours contact
- +268 2528 3423