Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"They helped make my trip one of the greatest experiences of my life."Anon
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"It‘s been an experience you’ll never forget and worth to come back"Anon
|Starting at $2,376|
|Hout Bay Backpackers|
|3 meals per day|
|First Monday of the Month|
Flights are not included in the cost.
Make an impact; contribute to sustainable development and have a genuine cultural experience with a passionate and professional African responsible travel company.
Learn to speak English through an intense emersion course and use your new language skills to volunteer to help care for underprivileged children in Cape Town, South Africa. Emerging from its apartheid history South Africa’s townships are experiencing the effects of high unemployment, HIV/AIDS, poverty and substance abuse. Many children are vulnerable and are being disadvantaged by not being able to access education.
This project aims to provide support to some or the pre-school centres that have opened in townships to assist these children. You will be based at one of these centres and may help with hands-on teaching, organising activities, caring for the children, and serving them food.
The highlights of this rewarding experience include:
- Improve you English and have the opportunity to put those skills into practice
- Give hope through assisting at pre-schools to educate and support vulnerable and disadvantaged children
- Experience the vibrancy of life in a South African Township
- Live in and explore the city of Cape Town, soak up the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches, hike up table mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city
During your stay you will be accommodated in an award winning lodge, opposite the sandy beach of Hout Bay. Three meals a day will also be provided, some on a self-serve basis and others cooked for you. For more information please see the Cape Town Accommodation factsheet.
Initially your role will be that of a student on the English course. You will be commuting each day from the volunteer base in Hout Bay to the Language School in Cape Town.
Once your course has completed, your role will switch to volunteer and you will be based in pre-schools in the communities of Imizamo Yethu or Hangberg. Some of the pre-schools are open a full day, whilst others in the morning only, which means you will participate in the afternoons at youth projects providing support to disadvantaged children.
As a volunteer, you may be working in a para-parental role teaching children life skills that their missing or overwhelmed families are struggling with. At the pre-schools you may work with a local care giver or teacher assisting them and taking on responsibilities as your skills and experience allows.
As a volunteer you may get involved in many of the following activities:
- Teaching English and maths and marking worksheets
- Leading role play and imagination activities
- Designing activities that support the syllabus
- Reading stories and facilitating learning through storytelling
- Giving support and attention to the children
- Organising games and sports activities to help them learn through play
- Assisting with preparing and serving of meals
- Teaching basic life skills including teeth cleaning and hygiene
Day in the life of a volunteer:
|7:00||Wake up and have your breakfast on the deck overlooking the beach and Hout Bay Harbour!|
|7:30||Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day|
|8:00||Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching activities including maths, English, science etc, and supporting the teacher through helping with setting and marking homework and tests|
|12:30||Time to either return to Hout Bay Backpackers for lunch or to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!|
|14:00||Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this will involve assisting at youth clubs with homework, reading and activities to develop self-confidence|
|16:00||Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the sea!|
|18:30||Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax……|
Fly into Cape Town International Airport (more details in “Arrivals” section in the South Africa Destination Brief) where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you to Hout Bay Backpackers, your home for the duration of the experience. It is a 45-60 minute journey from the airport to Hout Bay.
The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience, and what to expect.
In the afternoon you will embark on a Township Tour with an expert local guide who will introduce you to life in a township. The tour takes place in Imizamo Yethu, one of the townships you may be volunteering in.
Today you begin your English course! On arrival each student is given an assessment to determine what level of English they are currently at. From there you will be grouped accordingly in either of the following: Beginner, Elementary, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate and Advanced. Lessons are in the mornings with time to study and practice in the afternoons.
Day 4-5 and 8-12 – English Course
Continue with your English Course.
Day 6-7 and other weekends for the duration of your stay
The first weekend of your experience you will be given a one-day bus ticket to the open top red bus tour, which is a great way to explore Cape Town and familiarise yourself on what you want to do! Stops include Camps Bay, Table Mountain, V & A waterfront and Cape Town City Centre. You have the option to upgrade to a two day pass for a small additional fee which is recommended.
The Project Coordinator will take you to and assist you in settling in at your project in the morning. In the afternoon you may remain at your pre-school or if alternatively you may get involved in another project at one of our youth development centres.
Day 16-19 and 22-26 – Volunteer Activities
Continue with your volunteer project!
For 4 week option:
Day 29 Return home
Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your final day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Hout Bay and will be transferred to Cape Town International Airport. Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.
For 4 week plus option
Day 29 onwards
Continue with your volunteer project as described in day 5, giving you more time to contribute to your project and experience beautiful Cape Town.
INCLUDED IN FEE
- 20 English lessons per week for 2 weeks prior to volunteering with children
- English course material – student book and workbook (please bring your own stationery)
- Transport to and from the English course
- Comprehensive 24 hour, 7 day a week support from All Out Africa
- Volunteer projects specifically designed to enable you to make an active contribution during your stay
- Support of volunteer project coordinators who are experts in their fields which ensures the volunteer experience is valuable
- Comprehensive orientation to the country, its culture and your role as a volunteer upon arrival
- All food and accommodation throughout your stay
You can also add the following activities to your adventure of a lifetime prior to or upon arrival:
- See the penguins at Boulders Beach and explore one of Africa’s most southern points, Cape Point National Park
- Visit the Cape Wineries nestled amongst beautiful mountains
- Tour along the spectacular garden route and explore the beaches, wildlife and adventure activities such as bungy jumping and tubing
- See the great white shark up close and personal in a shark cage diving experience
Other Projects you may be interested in
Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Some Interesting Links
- For Volunteer Projects Contact:
- PO Box 153, Lobamba, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2416 2260
- US Toll Free: 187-7216-7178
- UK Toll Free: : 08-0008-68526
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Adventure Tours contact:
- PO Box 132, Mahlanya, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2528 3423
- Email: email@example.com