Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"Overall All Out Africa has good intentions and I believe will make a huge difference in the future"Korinna Kemmerich, Germany
OUR VOLUNTEERS HAVE SAID:
"I learnt a lot about culture and the people"Timon Ingold, Switzerland
|Starting at $1, 420|
|Hout Bay Backpackers|
|3 meals per day|
|First Monday of the Month|
Flights are not included in the cost.
Make an impact; contribute to sustainable development and have a genuine cultural experience with a passionate and professional African responsible travel company.
Education is one of the key needs of children and is their doorway to a bright future. In South Africa all children have to go to school, because it is seen a basic human right, yet a large percentage of children struggle to go to or to do well at school due to the effects of unemployment, HIV AIDS, poverty and substance abuse.
The Education Project aims to assist children at primary school level with support in a variety of ways including getting students to read and offering one-on-one support to children who are performing below the 20% pass rate. You also will be working in the afterschool project that continues to support educational activities including reading and homework, as well as teaching life skills and activities to improve self-confidence. You don’t need to have prior experience to volunteer on this project; all you need is to be motivated and sensitive and we will help you settle into a role that will be beneficial to the children you work with, while gaining valuable skills yourself.
The highlights of this rewarding experience include:
- Assist with teaching and developing activities in local schools and youth centres
- Help children learn and become more motivated as a result from your support and encouragement
- Experience the vibrancy of life in a South African Township
- Live in and explore the city of Cape Town, soak up the sun on the beautiful sandy beaches, hike up Table Mountain and learn about the history of this iconic city
During your stay you will be accommodated in an award winning lodge, opposite the sandy beach of Hout Bay. Three meals a day will also be provided, some on a self-serve basis and others cooked for you. For more information please see the Cape Town Accommodation factsheet.
Your role is split into two parts, firstly working at the school in the morning and then in the afternoon at an afterschool program or youth centre.
Your role will depending on your experience and interests as well as the needs of the school you will work with qualified teachers and youth development staff to assist students who are struggling academically or experiencing challenges. Some of the activities you will get involved in may include:
- One on one sessions to assist students who are falling behind in their schoolwork by having a one on one session with them
- Helping students with their homework and their reading
- Assisting at programs to build confidence and resistance to peer pressure and gang related activity
- Supporting extracurricular activities, such as drama, music, art and sports classes
Day in the life of a volunteer:
|7:00||Wake up and have your breakfast on the deck overlooking the beach and Hout Bay Harbour!|
|7:30||Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day|
|8:00||Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching activities including maths, English, science etc, and supporting the teacher through helping with setting and marking homework and tests|
|12:30||Time to either return to Hout Bay Backpackers for lunch or to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!|
|14:00||Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this will involve assisting at youth clubs with homework, reading and activities to develop self-confidence|
|16:00||Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the sea!|
|18:30||Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax……|
Fly into Cape Town International Airport (more details in “Arrivals” section in the South Africa Destination Brief) where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you to Hout Bay Backpackers, your home for the duration of the experience. It is a 45-60 minute journey from the airport to Hout Bay.
The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience, and what to expect.
In the afternoon you will embark on a Township Tour with an expert local guide who will introduce you to life in a township. The tour takes place in Imizamo Yethu, one of the townships you may be volunteering in.
Today you begin your volunteer project! The Project Coordinator will take you to and assist you in settling in at your project. After lunch you have another tour, this time through the Hangberg community. Your tour guide is a local leader who lives in the community and is involved in many of the youth interventions to encourage positive development.
In the morning you will return to your morning project, and in the afternoon your coordinator will take you to and orientate you to your afternoon project. This could be at the same school you volunteer in or at one of the youth centres we work with.
You’re now fully up and running as a volunteer, and will go to both your morning and afternoon projects!
Day 6-7 and other weekends for the duration of your stay
The first weekend of your experience you will be given a one-day bus ticket to the open top red bus tour, which is a great way to explore Cape Town and familiarise yourself on what you want to do! Stops include Camps Bay, Table Mountain, V & A waterfront and Cape Town City Centre. You have the option to upgrade to a two day pass for a small additional fee which is recommended.
Other weekends are free for you to relax or to see more of the scenery and activities Cape Town has to offer!
For 4 week option:
Day 29 Return home
Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your final day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Hout Bay and will be transferred to Cape Town International Airport. Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.
For 4 week plus option
Day 29 onwards
Continue with your volunteer project as described in day 5, giving you more time to contribute to your project and experience beautiful Cape Town.
INCLUDED IN FEE
- Comprehensive 24 hour, 7 day a week support from All Out Africa
- Volunteer projects specifically designed to enable you to make an active contribution during your stay
- Support of volunteer project coordinators who are experts in their fields which ensures the volunteer experience is valuable
- Comprehensive orientation to the country, its culture and your role as a volunteer upon arrival
You can also add the following activities to your adventure of a lifetime prior to or upon arrival:
- See the penguins at Boulders Beach and explore one of Africa’s most southern points, Cape Point National Park
- Visit the Cape Wineries nestled amongst beautiful mountains
- Tour along the spectacular garden route and explore the beaches, wildlife and adventure activities such as bungy jumping and tubing
- See the great white shark up close and personal in a shark cage diving experience
All food and accommodation throughout your stay
Other Projects you may be interested in
Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Some Interesting Links
- For Volunteer Projects Contact:
- PO Box 153, Lobamba, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2416 2260
- US Toll Free: 187-7216-7178
- UK Toll Free: : 08-0008-68526
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Adventure Tours contact:
- PO Box 132, Mahlanya, Swaziland, Southern Africa.
- Tel: +268 2528 3423
- Email: email@example.com